Parlor Press has been an independent publisher of scholarly and trade books and other media in print and digital formats since 2002.
Free Verse Editions
North Carolina State University
Parlor Press and Free Verse: A Journal of Contemporary Poetry & Poetics
Free Verse Editions represents a joint venture between Free Verse: A Journal of Contemporary Poetry & Poetics and Parlor Press. The series will publish three to five books of poetry per year.
The New Measure Poetry Prize
Parlor Press's poetry series, Free Verse Editions, is pleased to announce the fifth annual New Measure Poetry Prize, which will carry a cash award of $1,000 and publication of an original, unpublished manuscript of poems. Up to four other manuscripts may be accepted for publication by Free Verse Editions editors. Submit a manuscript of at least 54 pages with a $28 entry fee between May 1 and June 30, 2013.
Submit Your Entry for the New Measure Poetry Prize / Free Verse Editions) [active 1 May 2013 through 30 June 2013]. The submission window for 2013 is now closed. The window for the 2014 competition will open on 1 March 2014. The judge for 2013 will be Carolyn Forché.
The New Measure Poetry Prize Winners
2012: Dismantling the Angel by Eric Pankey [selected by Jon Thompson]
2011: The Canticle of the Night Path by Jennifer Atkinson [selected by Susan Stewart]
2010: Country Album by James Capozzi [selected by Jon Thompson]
2009: 13 Ways of Happily by Emily Carr [selected by Cole Swensen]
Press Release 2013
Press Release 2012
Press Release 2011
Other manuscripts not selected for the New Measure Poetry Prize may still be eligible for publication by Free Verse Editions. Friends and former students of the judge are not eligible for the prize but may submit for publication to Free Verse Editions (please indicate whether the submission is for the prize or for publication only). Each manuscript should be word processed, paginated, and contain a list of acknowledgments for published or forthcoming poems. The title page should include the name of the author, a postal address, telephone number, and email address. No feedback on submitted manuscripts can be offered.
For more information about Free Verse Editions, visit the series page.
Free Verse Editions
We are especially interested in collections that use language to dramatize a singular vision of experience, a mastery of craft, a deep knowledge of poetic tradition, and a willingness to take risks. As the series title suggests, the series is oriented toward free verse, but we will happily consider poetry written in traditional forms. Collections should have individual poems published in well-known journals. We will read collections that do not have a track record of publications, but it is unlikely that they will be accepted for publication.
Given the series' commitment to publishing a diverse array of styles, Parlor Press will not make a practice of regularly publishing second books by Free Verse Editions authors.
An announcement about the manuscripts accepted for publication will be made by December 1 each year. The announcement will appear on the Free Verse website as well as here.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via Submittable: Submit Your Entry for the New Measure Poetry Prize / Free Verse Editions (http://bit.ly/newmeasure) [active 1 May through 30 June annually]. The submission form will ask for contact information and allows for submission notes.
- Manuscripts should be between 54 and 150 pages and professionally presented.
- Manuscripts should be original, unpublished works. Original translations are welcomed.
- The reading fee is $28.00 and will be collected at the time of submission.
- The editor of Free Verse Editions reserves the right to accept for publication as many as five manuscripts or none if he deems the quality of the submissions insufficient. The editor also reserves the right to solicit manuscripts for the series. Needless to say, not all the manuscripts accepted in a given year will be solicited. Free Verse Editions is committed to publishing new voices, as well as being open to more established ones.
- Manuscripts accepted for publication can be revised before publication.
Submission period: May 1- June 30, annually.
Note: Please do not call, write, or email the editor, or Parlor Press, to inquire about your manuscript during the reading period.
Parlor Press is an independent publisher of scholarly and trade titles in print and multimedia formats, including Acrobat eBook, ePub, and iBook. For submission information, see http://www.parlorpress.com/submissions, write to Parlor Press, 3015 Brackenberry Drive, Anderson SC 29621, or e-mail David Blakesley <email@example.com>. 765.409.2649